Well, we made the decision to definitely not get a wind turbine – unless a tornado takes out our trees, then we’ll reconsider.
The official word from the boss at Bauer Power is that the trees on our property would a) require a taller tower than Bauer Power typically uses, which would be more expensive, and b) cause turbulence that would be hard on the turbine and thus increase maintenance.
It wasn’t the initial cost of the turbine and tower ($25,000 – $50,000 depending upon height) that ultimately caused us to blink. It was the maintenance – he estimates, given the wear the turbulence would cause, maintenance would be $1,000 per year. Ouch. That is a lot of electricity that would need to be generated, and again, given the trees, who knows if it could generate enough. So, no wind turbine. sigh. On the other hand, this company up front and boldly said “skip the turbine, stick with the PV” when it would have been money in their pocket if we had gone with the hybrid system. To me, that’s a sign of their integrity.
So, the official decision this morning is to go with the PV system – the solar system, as I like to call it. My goal for this week is to submit the application for refinancing the house.
We hadn’t quite gotten around to refinancing yet even though mortgage rates are considerably lower than what we’ve been paying. Turns out to be a good thing perhaps. After refinancing, even with the additional funds added for the solar system our monthly cost will be less than it is now. On top of that we are likely to see a $10,000 state rebate (Bauer is optimistic, I’m less so) and the 30% federal tax credit come spring.
The financing is going to be the time drag on the system. Bauer will install in 100 days after we sign on the dotted line – but the bank has a 4 month backlog. So it may be awhile before you see pictures of installation – but I’ll post them, don’t you worry!