Not too many years ago, 2006, we redid our kitchen, including all new appliances. We opted for a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. Today I’m glad I took the advice of a saleswoman and did not buy a combination oven and microwave.
On Saturday (always on a weekend) the microwave quit. It would hum along but do nothing. My daughter insisted it made her food colder – a nice trick if it were true. Luckily the appliance dealer we prefer is located in our small town (supporting local businesses and all). Also luckily, I have a 17 year old son who can easily carry a medium sized microwave. So yesterday it went to the microwave hospital/appliance dealer. Today we got the bad news. It would cost $100 more to fix it than to buy a new one. Isn’t that about the stupidest thing you’ve ever heard? The new one will cost $250.
If I were wealthy perhaps I would stick to the principles underlying a greener world and have it repaired regardless of the cost. But I am not wealthy and so we have ordered a new microwave. At least I am fairly confident the old microwave won’t end up in a landfill since in our state appliances have been banned from landfills since 1994. Most likely some components will be disposed of as hazardous materials (mercury switches and the like) and the rest will be sold (or given away) for scrap, and with any luck, recycled.
What a shame that a) the microwave lasted only six years, and b) repairing it costs more than buying new. I was so hoping this would be the heirloom microwave I would will to my children for them and future generations to cherish. Maybe they can inherit the new one.