It has been over 6 months since I last posted. I give no excuses; it just happened. But here’s a bit of a catch up.
One of our llamas died in the spring. She ate some hemlock. That left us with just Serendipity – and a lone llama has a propensity for getting into trouble. Serendipity kept finding ways to escape our field. One day a woman pulled into the driveway to tell us our llama was in the park that borders our property. It took my husband, this woman, and 3 more passers-by to herd her back into the field. She had so much fun!
And then the first day of school she did it again. I got a call from the high school principal telling me he’d let my son out of school to help wrangle the llama. She clearly needed friends (and we needed to upgrade the fencing).
The fencing was upgraded and my husband found a local llama farm that needed to downsize, and that is how we ended up with Acci and Cheetah.
Acci and Cheetah are older than Serendipity. We don’t know for sure, but think Serendipity is about 4 years old. Acci and Cheetah are 8 and 6 years old. All three get along quite well, not super chummy, but they hang out together (but also spit at one another for the slightest offense).
No pictures of the flower or vegetable gardens. We had a severe drought and very hot temperatures and everything was just fried. Finally, in September, the tomatoes started to fill out and ripen – but not at anywhere near the rate we are used to. We still have plenty of tomatoes, but also occasional frosts; we eat what we can. Tonight, my husband made some green fried tomatoes for dinner, and oven roasted potatoes (also from the garden). Mmmm.
The honey bees had a time of it too. I obtained two swarms in May. One I put in a Langstroth (the rectangular boxes) with some old comb from previous inhabitants, and one I put in the topbar hive. Those bees, though, had to start from scratch, with no comb. The drought was too much. The couldn’t bring in enough nectar to both build comb and store honey, so eventually they left in search of better digs. I hope they found some.
The other hives, however, are doing quite well. My husband and I put mouseguards on the hives today (so mice don’t winter in the nice warm hive) and rearranged boxes as we saw fit. I like to have the bulk of the bees and their honey start at the bottom of the hive so they can work their way up during the winter. I also moved a box of honey from one very strong hive to a weaker one. I’ll feed the two weakest hives also so they can store more honey until it’s too cold for them to move about. Fingers crossed this will get them through the winter and early spring.
That’s the short version of the last 6 months. I’ll try to write more before another 6 months slip by. Until then, enjoy the Autumn!