I am flying high! The last 48 hours have been filled with one happy surprise after another:
- I had an e-mail from my friend Susan. I haven’t heard from her in months and months and knew she had a really rough 2009, so it was great to hear her outlook is up and life is good.
- I ran into a friend who was coming out of the gym. He has been getting chemo for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma but said his last PET scan was clean.
- I had my usual several times a day e-mail conversation with my friend Vicky. It is so great be able to dash off a quick observation, respond to something she has said, or share a funny – at least as good as a daily phone call – and much cheaper.
- My husband e-mailed and not only will we be having a date this Saturday but it will include a couple that I really want to get to know better.
- I had a meeting – a drug prevention task force meeting – the type of meeting that could be deadly dull – but was actually filled with people in good-humor and we all laughed a lot while we also had a very productive meeting.
- I had a surprise e-mail from the editor of a textbook I authored. They want a third edition!
- I had an e-mail from the publications office at work. They are interested in the story behind some survey research I’m doing on beekeepers.
- Today in the mail I received my first copy of MaryJanesFarm: The Everyday Organic Lifestyle Magazine, a Christmas present from the aforementioned Vicky.
- And as if that weren’t enough – Retro Housewife Goes Green gave me (and 9 others) the Happy 101 Award! I would like to thank all the little people who have made this possible…
Here are the rules for the Happy 101 Award (yes, an award with rules – there are no free lunches in this world):
- List 10 things that make you happy. (Try to do one of them today)
- Tag 10 bloggers that make you happy.
- Make sure to link back to the person that tagged you.
So here goes – my 10, very self-centered, things that make me happy:
- A conversation with my husband
- Making my teenager laugh
- A hug from daughter
- Knitting, beading, or reading a good book (hmm, I need to get to the library and pick up this month’s book club book)
- Making myself a cup of tea
- Doing a jigsaw puzzle
- The scale going down
- A cat curled up next to me in bed
- Writing – writing my blog, writing my column, heck – even writing lectures (on interesting stuff anyway)
[It’s been a good day, I’ve done 9 so far – and there is still time to make that kid laugh.]
And here are 10 of the many blogs that make me smile – a Happy 101 award to each of you!:
- Squash Blossom Farm – Susan and her family’s adventures on their new small farm
- Nyack Backyard – reminds me to keep my eyes open to the nature around me (hey! I’ve seen a bald Eagle twice this week! another happy thing)
- The Mommy Porch – “meandering thoughts on food and life” – sums it up pretty well
- (not so) Urban Hennery – started reading it for the bees and then continued reading – and now she has got me involved in The Dark Days challenge
- My Green Conscience – a fantastic approach to encouraging an eco-friendly lifestyle
- Fessenden Farmstead – chronicles of Stacey’s urban farming and homesteader lifestyle
- Are We There Yet? – fun and candid observations
- Mayberry Mom – comments about and from a life with young kids – such a fun reminder for me
- Divine Nature – beautiful photographs
- A+A Adopt a Baby – a new baby in a happy family – what’s not to like?
Thank you Retro Housewife for the award!