Blizzard on the Prairie–Part II

February 3, 2011

Fitful sleep during the night of the blizzard – for me anyway.  How long would the power stay out?  Was this a local outage or a regional one?  Would the pipes freeze?  Would they burst?  Would we have to redo the bathroom and would the insurance pay for it? The 3 a.m. addition of the 11 year old to our bed (she was cold) did not make the night more restful.

It was pretty darn chilly in the room when we woke up.  It was about 50 degrees and it felt like camping in autumn as I got dressed.  We still had no power so I pulled on long johns, blue jeans, heavy socks, a turtle neck, a sweatshirt, and a heavy sweater on top.  I had dressed appropriately.  Downstairs it was 39 degrees.  The door had blown open again (despite the furniture piled against it).  All that cold air!  I was thoroughly disheartened.

We had sausage and pancakes for breakfast, but my heart really wasn’t in it.  I was too cold. The fireplace worked overtime until I worried that the wall was getting too hot and shut it down for awhile.  I took my book and went back upstairs to my bed.

Meanwhile, outside was pretty nice.  Partly sunny and about 30 degrees.  While my kids shoveled snow I got up from my blanketed nest to make tea and warm up my hands when the lights came on!  DSCF8788_thumbIt had been 19 hours.  The house had warmed up from 39 to 41.  I had been wondering if we should check into a hotel.  I was more then ready to have the power back on.

This improved my overall outlook considerably and immediately.  I put on my snowshoes and went outside to explore.




I said hi to the llamas and saw that their water was thawing out now that the deicer had power.






And I went out back to the beehives and pushed snow from their entrances.  I’m guessing one hive might have a mouse in it.  If so, I’ll evict it come spring.



By late afternoon we were pretty much back to normal.  The teen was up in his room avoiding family.  The youngest went sledding and then watched old I Love Lucy shows with her friend.  The adults were working (or not) at their computers.  I for one was not looking forward to going to work.  It was feeling very much like a Sunday after an nonrestful weekend.  I needed another day to recover from SNOWMAGGEDON 2011. Besides, the forecast was for dangerously cold  windchills: 15 to 25 below zero.  I’d been cold enough, I didn’t want to be cold anymore!

The phone rang.  The school district’s message system – no school on Thursday.  Minutes later I see a note on Facebook from my school – closed on Thursday too!  A few hours later my husband’s school jumped on the closing bandwagon.  Yes, it’ll mess up our schedules and some courses might need to be reorganized, but everyone will be in the same situation.  You aren’t behind schedule when everyone is behind schedule.  It’ll all work out.

Compared to what other people have had to deal with (like the poor people stuck in cars on Lake Shore Drive), I was a big wuss.  While we were a bit uncomfortable, the storm was exciting and awe-inspiring and we were safe.  Plus we did have a pleasant evening in the dark.  I suppose we can call this a successful blizzard.



  1. Been thinking about you! Glad you survived – it does make you realize what we take for granted, doesn’t it?

    • It was so nice to wake up in a warm house. Didn’t take that for granted today! Thanks for thinking about me – it was a low-key adventure.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: