Swarm updateMay 28, 2010
The swarm seems to be setting up housekeeping – but it didn’t look good for awhile.
I went to see how the swarm was doing the afternoon after I hived it and the bees were swarming on the outside of the box.This was not a good sign. What to do, what to do. AHA! put a queen excluder (a screen the queen can’t fit through but the worker bees can) under the box to keep the queen in the hive until they decide they like it well enough to stay.
I lifted up the front end of the hive (the bees were all on the back) and slid the queen excluder underneath. The swarm couldn’t have cared less. Then, using the bee brush I scooped and brushed as much of the swarm into the hive box that I could. I also brushed them into a bucket and dumped them unceremoniously into the box. They really didn’t complain. Obviously, I couldn’t get all the bees in, but they were making their way in (rather than out – a good sign) when I left them.
The next morning I went down to see what there was to see and what I saw were bees orienting in front of the hive!
Phew! Apparently I have a 4th hive.